Sunday, March 4, 2012

Working backwards through the 70's (77 & 78)

As I talked about in a post a few days ago, I attended a card show last weekend and spent nearly an hour transfixed by one box of 60's and 70's cards.  I posted some '79s, and expressed an interest in chasing those cards - probably more fiscally responsible than chasing any of the older sets, and also a reminder of some of my youngest collecting memories.  I have a much fainter memory of these '78s, but I grabbed the Mets and other big names that I recognized.

What's funny is that I seem to remember the backs of these '78's more than the fronts - crazy, right?  I remember that game, the "play ball" on the far right, but I don't actually ever remember playing it.  Just remember thinking, "How cool?!?  Playing a game with baseball cards!"  This was still a few years before I would disappear into the world of Strat-o-Matic.

These weren't really my Mets, I can barely remember those players or cards.  I actually grew up as a Yankee fan - until, that was, they traded my hero, Reggie Jackson.  I hated them from that moment on, and moved my allegiance over to Shea.

No comments:

Post a Comment