Friday, February 24, 2012

A Sabermetric Analysis of My Trip to the Card Show


Well, it's not truly Sabermetric, actually.  I just want to take a look at Nick's (at http://baseballdimebox.blogspot.com/) advice, an see how well I did with it!  (ps- I stole that picture from the web - unfortunately I didn't take any photos)

Tip #1: Try at least one dime box!

Well, tried it - but didn't find anything old or rare.  Probably need to hunt around a bit more and see if I can find some variety - and maybe even need to venture into a nearby .25 or .50 box to see what I can find.  As it went, I spent at least 15 minutes thumbing through the one box - I have a feeling this takes some time to master!

Tip #2: It doesn't hurt to pick up a few "tradebait" cards.

I made sure I picked up "extra" '87 mini's - since I know a bunch of people are working on that insert set - but otherwise, didn't really know what's good bait, yet!

Tip #3: Cards you're not sure if you already have or not...

My collection is so new and sporatic (mostly just new base sets) that I don't really have much that I'm not aware of.  I have a lot of old 80's cards, but I wasn't looking to buy any, so this didn't really come into play.

Tip #4: Discounted vintage is a must!

While I did pick up some vintage cards, I am not sure how "discounted" they were.  I probably spent more than I planned on on the few cards I did pick up...  which means I've gotta find that discounted vintage box!

Tip #5: Don't be afraid to wait sets out.

I think I may have accidentally stumbled right into this tip.  In the dime box I scored 10 cool A&G and Gypsy Queen cards (all Mets) that I may have spent much more money on had I been trying to complete that set initially.  Now these were just "fun buys" for me - but I see how this tip could really pay dividends!

Tip #6: They don't all have to be discount cards.

There was an old Tom Seaver card and an old Nolan Ryan card that I was eyeing.  Probably should have pulled the trigger on it.  I wimped out!

Tip #7: You can always go back to some tables.

I don't know if I mentioned this in an earlier post, but I actually left the show after picking up my 2012 remaining cards to complete the set and then finishing the '87 mini set.  But I got back to my car, sat for a moment, and then decided to go back in and try to find some nice old cards!

Tip #8: Help out your fellow bloggers!
 
I tried.  I really did.  I thought the Wilhelm card was going to be a hit - but I am sure Nick appreciated the gesture.  I'll get something, next show... I'm on a mission!

No comments:

Post a Comment