Monday, February 20, 2012

Kev at the card show - post 1

Inspired by Nick at http://baseballdimebox.blogspot.com/, I ventured into a local card show for the first time - perhaps ever!  I may have gone to a couple as a kid, the memories are vague... but let's just say that this is my first one as a "returning" collector!

The first thing I will say is that it was incredibly intimidating when I took my first few steps into the hotel ballroom.  It wasn't a big show (from what I'm told) - it was about 30-40 tables, but the sheer variety of offerings assaulted my senses as I walked in.  Once I got my bearings, I figured I would quickly spot something I felt comfortable and confident about - yup, Topps 2012. 

By the way, have you read any of the series of posts about Topps 2012 from http://mycardboardmistress.blogspot.com/?  A great - and fair - feature that is well-written, well-thought about, and pretty darn entertaining.

I found a not-so-busy table, with a nice guy who had a small plastic case of '87 mini's - and since this was an insert set that I was interested in completing, I started to thumb through his offerings.  He sold me all of his mini's, about 20 of them (and I needed 17 of the 20) - and gave them to me for $5.  This was my first purchase - and I was happy to make it!

As I started to walk away, I noticed that he had a cardboard box of loose Topps 2012.  I needed 15 cards to complete my series one collection, and after 10 minutes of looking, I forked over $3 and I was done with Topps 2012 Series One! 

So do you see those pictures at the top of the post?  And did you think they were celebrating great moments from the past baseball season?  Nope - Nyjer and his teammates were joining Josh Reddick and a few Red Sox in congratulating ME on finishing off Series One!

No comments:

Post a Comment