Tuesday, January 31, 2012

How much would YOU pay for a hobby box?


Of course, it's another Topps 2012 Series One post. My question is pretty accurately shown in my title: How much should one pony up to purchase a hobby box? Or, perhaps, if you are so inclined, how much for a Jumbo?

A quick peak at ebay shows that there are some buy-it-now options in the low $60's with free shipping. And I see Jumbo's in the low $90's, including shipping (these are auctions, so a bit tougher to predict - perhaps they'll be over $100 soon). I see a Jumbo for $106 with free shipping...

What has your experience in past years taught you? Does the price fall a bit in a few days or weeks? How much has the early rush inflated the product?

9 comments:

  1. If I remember right, the price of the 2011 Topps hobby boxes last year actually rose after they were released because of the Diamond Giveaway cards.

    I usually get a hobby box of the first Topps set each year, they're always around 60 to 65 bucks w/shipping. If you're going to buy a 2012 Topps box, I'd recommend doing it ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too think it'll be awhile before the price comes down. Best bet is to lock in a pre-order early before the prices rise the closer the release date approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. is ebay the way to go for this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ebay is probably the best option.

    I buy almost all my boxes (which isn't many) from a seller called "blowoutcards". Reasonable prices (including free shipping), and very fast delivery time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gotcha. thanks for the tip - i'll check it out...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am strictly a blaster guy now. It's a quick fix and you hardly ever feel mad that you blew $10-$20.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also tend to spend my budget on older(and cheap as fu...n)wax at bbcexchange.com. Remember when you were younger and dreamed of the day when you could buy a case of your favorite set, say, 1988 Topps? Well, over there you can and for about a third of the price of when they came out. I have done that with a few sets and when you see that case sitting on your doorstep and realize your are about to participate in an dream come true it blows anything else out there away. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blowout had them for around $55 pre-sell. That changed real quick when Topps started making announcements about the wrapper redemption and other things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. well, i snoozed a bit too long, and paid $70, with free shipping. probably cost myself $8-10 by waiting...

    ReplyDelete