Saturday, June 18, 2011

i don't understand gold parallels...

Can anyone explain these to me?

Once every few packs, i get a gold parallel. Just opened "Joe Blanton" - nice! Well, what do they even make these? I don't really get it. Is it to make collectors of that "player" need to buy an extra (and i guess far more rare) card?

The cards aren't even very nice - the gold border doesn't make the card look better, and probably makes it look worse!

At least the sparkly diamond parallels (not the ones with the small diamond hidden in the pic - i am talking about the cards with the sparkle effect all over) - they are kinda cool looking.

Do you guys get into these gold parallels?

And what do you do with them, since they don't really complete sets?

And I really appreciate your suggestions to my last post - I guess I need to build up a "trade network" I guess!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of the gold parallels, but like many team collectors I do want the ones for my team. That just so happens to be the Rangers. I usually stick my other gold parallels in trade packages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Topps knows that there are people who are compulsively completist, and therefore must have all the cards. I think it's why they have so many subsets now too. The card company does this to get people to buy more. Like look at the 60 years reprint inserts in 2011 cards. You have the regular set with the newer modern backs, then you have another rarer set with facsimile of the original backs. Or in the Heritage, you have the black parallels, the blue ones, the red ones, and so on ad nauseum.

    If you get a rarer insert, and don't want it, find someone to trade it to! Odds are they may have something else that you want that's rare, and you both win.

    ReplyDelete